Sunday, September 19, 2010

I know you're busy ...


"Hello"

"I know you're busy, but when you get time you need to look at the toilet in the front bathroom."

"...Why?"

"Well, I discovered the wall and floor are wet behind it and I think it is leaking, so I turned the water off to it."

"OK ... I'm on top of a grain bin right now."

"Oh I understand.  But when you get time..."

Yes, it was leaking water.  Leaking through the tank, or more specifically through a crack in the back of the tank.  A crack running from top to bottom.  Or bottom to top depending on your vantage point.

So for our fun Sunday afternoon we went to Lowe's.  And there was a tank I could buy for $29.  But the bolt pattern was wrong.  So we decided to splurge for a new toilet.

Boy do we know how to live it up and blow money.

Do you know how  many choices there are of toilets?  Regular or chair height?  Round or elongated? One piece or two? Low volume or what now passes for normal? White or .... ?  American Standard, AquaFlush, Jacuzzi, on and on and on.

Yes, THAT Jacuzzi

"What do you think?"

"I don't care as long as it works.  Oh, and is white."

Any experienced husband knows those words "I don't care as long as..." mean you probably can't win.  So I made an executive decision.  We are now the proud owners of an American Standard Champion 4 RH EL toilet

" with the industry's widest outlet, largest flush valve and EverClean surface. It's virtually clog free and it helps keep itself clean."   Yeah, right.  The box says it will flush a bucket full of golf balls.  Don't mention that around Adam.

I know you are suitably impressed.  It is now installed ... sort of.  Seems it sets taller than the old one so the water supply hose is too short.  After some discussion of going to Wal-Mart tonight we decided to live with it tonight.  Installation was a breeze except for a problem with the anchor bolts.  Which meant I had to pick it up after the wax seal was in place.  So we'll see how that turns out.

I've been registering it online.  Seems the flush valve has a 10 year warranty.  Way too many hoops to jump through to register it.  In the process I had to go through a list of American Standard toilets to find the right model number. They show some $1,228 toilets!  I best not comment.  You doubt me?  Go to http://www.americanstandard-us.com/bathroom-products/toilets/?so=pricehightolow&r=16&p=1 and look yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well now I know who to call the next time I need a toilet installed. But since I have just remodeled my bathroom this year which we installed a taller toilet I probably wont need you to install one for a few years. Way to go and splurge instead of waiting to put that on your Christmas wish list.

Blog Archive