Sunday, September 12, 2010

it really wasn't a big deal...

It rained Friday night so Saturday was not a work in the field day ... which caused me to be involved with doing something I'd never done before.

A bit of background.

I have this nasty habit.  I enjoy yard sales.  Sue has this equally nasty affliction.  She (as a rule) hates going to yard sales.  There are exceptions, such as going with 2-3 ladies to some town wide sale day or something, but that is more the going than the yard sales.  Anyway, I stopped by a neighbor's yard sale this summer and ended up bringing home a dining room set.  Table, chairs, china cabinet ... pretty nice set.  It wasn't Tell City but it was OK.  It had some experience showing but not too bad.  I had to work on a table leg but other than that is was pretty good , except for the chair cushions.  They showed some wear, so Sue decided they needed reupholstered.
This looks better in the photo than it did in person.

She found the fabric she wanted (and I avoided going "How Much?") and purchased it anticipating a rainy day for her hubby to help.

Remember I mentioned Friday night?

So Saturday morning we started in reupholstering the chairs.  First you remove the seats.  They were attached with phillips head screws, so I got to use power tools.  Then we removed 416 staples from the bottom of each seat.  That is an estimate but it seemed pretty accurate.  Sue used the old material as a pattern and cut out the fabric

 
at $XXXX a yard (no, I'm not telling) she was a bit nervous about making an error.  She wasn't really that green but as nervous as she was she might have been.  There is a bit of the china cabinet in the corner of the photo.

Anyway, we then set the cushion and base on the fabric, pulled it tight and stapled it.  Oh, did I mention I do not have an air stapler like the factory does?   We only got 250 staples in each one ... or so it seemed.

Anyway, when we got done it looked pretty good.
Pay no attention to the color.  My phone camera sometimes has trouble with shades of red.
Notice the bright red Milwaukee drill box  in the photo?  Compare it to the before photo above.

I'm sure a professional would have done better, but we're more likely to live in this old house than be on This Old House.  We finished by lunch and I must say it looks pretty good for a couple inexperienced amateurs.  Even got the dragon flies all pointing the same direction.

Oh, BTW if you are a guy taking notes be warned.  New upholstery causes other problems. I had to go to Harbor Freight Sunday afternoon with a battery charger to exchange under warranty.

"Since we're close, let's stop by Menard's to pick up paint chips".
Might have been cheaper to got to Rural King and buy a new charger.

2 comments:

Big Sis said...

Ahh, I would have put the dragonflies facing the other direction. As long as they're all facing the same direction I guess it's okay.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fabulous job. Its a big job just getting the dragon flies all going the same direction and even looking really straight Can I send you all my sewing jobs???

Blog Archive